The next common core standard for prekindergarten children is:
Reading Standards for Informational Text:
Key Ideas and Details
1. With prompting and support, ask and answer questions about details in a text.
2. With prompting and support, retell detail(s) in a text.
3. With prompting and support, describe the connection between two events or pieces of information in a text.
As with the first standard, there is no Key Idea for this set of details. We are still not told how much prompting and support will be accepted and the third detail is developmentally inappropriate for most three and four year old children.
Craft and Structure
4. Exhibit curiosity and interest in learning new vocabulary (e.g., ask questions about unfamiliar vocabulary).
5. Identify the front cover, back cover; display
s correct orientation of book, page turning skills.
6. With prompting and support, can describe the role of an author and illustrator.
Three and four year old child exhibit curiosity and interest in learning everything, why are they being limited to new vocabulary? What is the point of identifying book cover; display? Should three and four year old children have page turning skills? Detail 5 is developmentally inappropriate.
Integration and Knowledge of Ideas
7. With prompting and support, describe the relationship between illustrations and the text in which they appear (e.g. what person, place, thing or idea in the text an illustration depicts).
8. Not applicable to prekindergarten.
9. With prompting and support, identify basic similarities and differences between two texts on the same topic (e.g. illustrations, descriptions or procedures).
Remember, this standard is for informational text. They are asking that three and four year old children understand the concept of relationships and then to be able to describe them. As well, because the information is factual, the children must be correct or be told that they are wrong.
We are not sure what is not applicable to prekindergarten in detail number 8. Detail 9 is developmentally inappropriate.
Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
10. With prompting and support, actively engage in group reading activities with purpose and understanding.
This is the only developmentally appropriate detail for prekindergarten.
Join the Movement to Save Our Children!